Re: Getting Online! (Me too)

Subject: Re: Getting Online! (Me too)
From: Carolyn Jean Fairman (cfairman@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 13:29:41 MDT

Chris,

The router comes as 192.168.0.1

I gave the G3 the IP address 192.168.0.50 using ifconfig (automating
that is on my list). I can ping the G3 by name, stavia, or by
192.168.0.50 and I can ping the router by 192.168.0.1 but, well, after
that I'm lost.

The router has a web interface so I start up X and Netscape and go to
192.168.0.1 and log in where there is an option to see the IP
addresses. The LAN has the G3 ok (and just for variety I set the
laptop to DHCP and that shows up but I'm leaving that machine off for
this since it only runs MacOS and I can haldle only one thing at a
time) but there is only 0.0.0.0 for the WAN IP. When I do this in
MacOS I get some real IP address.

I'm suspecting lots of configuration with ip_chains or masquerading
and also what should the route table look like (to work I mean)?

Did this make sense?

--Carolyn

   could you please explain this a little more in detail ? i might be able to
   help you get going. i mean like actaul address something like

   123.124.234.xxx and so on so i have an idea.

   thanks chris

   --
       Christopher M Downs