Re: Getting Online! (Me too)

Subject: Re: Getting Online! (Me too)
From: Brian Waite (bwaite@cspi.com)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 13:33:01 MDT

Please Please Please do not post actual IP addresses to the list!!!!!!!
Not that the person asking is unscrupulious but if you post your IP then here is what I know about you

1) A Netgear 4 port router
2) Linux PPC box on back end
3) IP address of netgear hub
4) The IP adress of the Linux box
This is way too much info to let into the wild.

Well now that sounds like a recipe for attack. All I do now is keep a lookout for Netgear Hub exploits and wham I am in. Of course I already know you are running Linux on a machine and now I just start sniffing. Better yet why don't I reconfig to router. There is no reason to be posting IP addresses. Learn whether you are using class A, B or C license and refer to them as such. If you need to, put a bogus IP addie of the same class instead. Atleast make people work if they want to use you as a target. Remember the people posting to the list are not the only ones reading the list.
Just my thoughts
Brian