Re: Getting Online! (Me too)

Subject: Re: Getting Online! (Me too)
From: Carolyn Jean Fairman (cfairman@Stanford.EDU)
Date: Tue Jun 19 2001 - 19:21:37 MDT

Brian Waite <bwaite@cspi.com> wrote:
> Please Please Please do not post actual IP addresses to the
> list!!!!!!! Not that the person asking is unscrupulious but if
> you post your IP then here is what I know about you
>
> 1) A Netgear 4 port router
> 2) Linux PPC box on back end
> 3) IP address of netgear hub
> 4) The IP adress of the Linux box
> This is way too much info to let into the wild.

Good point. The IP address of the netgear hub is in the instruction
manual though! Can I change it?

The internal IP address of the linux box I can change easily too
though I imagine folks can also scan for this.

I never actually know the WAN IP address. The problem I'm having is
that I do get one (which I won't mention here...) if I'm using the
MacOS but if I boot into Linux the router somehow doesn't see it. It
should, I think, see the exact same WAN IP since the router wasn't
rebooted and it is the one making the connection now. I don't
understand why is doesn't see the same IP address the MacOS did.

> Well now that sounds like a recipe for attack. All I do now is
> keep a lookout for Netgear Hub exploits and wham I am in. Of
> course I already know you are running Linux on a machine and now I
> just start sniffing. Better yet why don't I reconfig to router.

I did change the default administrative password immediately (mix of
upper and lowercare plus some punctuation/numbers). :)

> There is no reason to be posting IP addresses. Learn whether you are
> using class A, B or C license and refer to them as such. If you need
> to, put a bogus IP addie of the same class instead. Atleast make
> people work if they want to use you as a target. Remember the people
> posting to the list are not the only ones reading the list.
   Just my thoughts
   Brian

Thanks and these are good points, security is a real issue. Once I
get the blasted thing to see the outside world I'll start asking about
firewalls...

--Carolyn