Re: approaching disgustipation

Subject: Re: approaching disgustipation
From: David Gehrig (zemblan@earthlink.net)
Date: Sat Jun 23 2001 - 12:08:01 MDT

> Subject: Re: approaching disgustipation
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 19:55:44 -0500
> From: "michael" <mlibby@qwest.net>

<< snip >>

> Under similar circumstances I would tend to question something other than the
> quality of the YDL CDs from TSS.

I can read the other two CDs that came in the distribution, but was unable
to read either of the two install disks without i/o errors on either of
the
two Macs I tried. I was able to read and copy nearly all of the
.ppc.rpms in
the YellowDog/ppc directory, but half the ones starting with x or X
choked.
Which is not handy, since all the installs install X. IOW I'm pretty
satisfied
that it's just media problems.

I considered simply recompiling huge chunks of the stuff from the source rpms,
but they are all in rpm-4.0 format, _including_ (unfortunately) rpm_4.0, a
nice upgrade-path Catch-22.

> I don't know enough about your setup to know what questions to ask,

Stock iMac Rev A, except with more memory and a new 30GB drive. I've had
LinuxPPC up and running in a dual-boot configuration for more than a year,
but the YDL 2.0 release looked like a good way to get KDE 2, the latest
Qt
libraries (the one with the XML stuff) and KDevelop, and just a general
refresh.

I've heard nothing but good things about YDL, by the way, and I know
that
just by the nature of the mass duplication process a certain percentage
of
disks come out bad -- which means that a certain percentage of replacement
disks also come out bad, and I'm just "lucky" to have been awarded two
of
them.

In general, I am prepared to be very satisfied with YDL and acknowledge
that
(to paraphrase Shakespeare) the course of a major Linux upgrade doth rarely
run smooth. I don't mind being a bit frustrated if it's for the right
reasons. It's just annoying to hit the first speed bump ten minutes into
the install, and to be stuck there for nearly a month by bad disks and
unanswered mail.

@%<