Re: kde2 :)

Subject: Re: kde2 :)
From: Sam Moore (samiwas@macconnect.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 21:42:08 MST

Thanks for this really helpful information.
On 11/7/00 at 10:51 PM, pac1@tiac.net (Patrick Callahan) wrote:
::much useful info snipped::
> This is the only reference to lesstif on their site. Is konqueror in
kdeadmin?
No but it's probably in kdebase. that's the package that's calling for it.
::more snippage::
> o Directions for non YDL pre-requisites (bzip and openSSL)
>
> - bzip
>
> ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/bzip2/v100/bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz
> %cd /usr/src
> # copy the tar.gz to /usr/src
> $tar -xzvf bzip2-1.0.1.tar.gz
> $cd bzip2-1.0.1
> $./configure
NOTE: ./configure is not necessary or possible. There is no configure script.
you just $make and $make install.
> $make
> The above commands assume you have permission to
> write in /usr/src
> if not do it as root or set up your permissions
> correctly
>
> $su root
> %make install
> %bzip2 --version
> bzip2, a block-sorting file compressor. Version
> 1.0.1 23-June-2000.
OK, got that installed but the kdeadmin .rpm is still complaining that
libbz2.so.1 isn't there (and in fact whereis can't find it) - did I miss
something? Not sure what to do next here...
> - OpenSSL (including openSSH)
>
> Here's what I do for Openssh (these are from memory - ymmv)
>
> ftp.openssl.org/source/openssl-0.9.6.tar.gz
> ftp.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/zlib/zlib-1.1.3.tar.gz
>
> ftp.openssh.com/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/Openssh-2.2.0p1
openssh-2.3.0p1.tar.gz is now available.

> the p1 is important. p indicates portable
> standard build instructions for openssh
> ftp it
> copy them to /usr/src
> cd /usr/src
> tar -xzvf openssl*.gz
> tar -xzvf zlib*.gz
> tar -xzvf openssh*.gz
>
> cd /usr/src/zlib*
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> ldconfig
I've been advised to run this before, but strangely there's no man page for
it... does it have to do with telling the system to recognize new libraries?

> cd /usr/src/openssl*
> ./configure
For openssl there are scripts called config and Configure but no configure. I
used config, per the instructions in the INSTALL file. Configure seems to be
provided to accomodate less common system setups.
> make
INSTALL recommends $make test at this point.
> make install
Many many complaints that my locale was not set correctly; doesn't seem to have
hurt anything though. Odd.
> ldconfig
>
> cd /usr/src/openssh*
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> ldconfig

Sam Moore <smoo@lungta.org>
dba Windhorse Studio * Maps & Information Design

Personal: http://www.lungta.org (not ready yet)
For the clan: http://smhtf.lungta.org
Work: http://www.ewcreative.com

"Good and bad, happy and sad, all thoughts vanish into
emptiness like the imprint of a bird in the sky."