Re: DHCP to Static IP

Subject: Re: DHCP to Static IP
From: Philip Good (phil@go2taichi.com)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2000 - 13:11:55 MST

Thanks to Christopher, Jeff and Peter. Even though I had been trying to switch my
network information from DHCP to manual via netcfg and linuxconf, there was still
some DHCP stuff left in the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 script, like
the HOSTNAME and DOMAIN were still:

HOSTNAME=adslxxx.dnvr.uswest.net
HOST=dnvr.uswest.net

rather than what I'm sure I had set them to several times vi the GUI setup as:

HOSTNAME=myhost.mydomain.com
HOST=mydomain.com

So, I think the best advice was to skip the GUI tools and head straight for vi.

Thanks again.
Phil

BTW, the reason I am switching is because I get a new IP everytime I reboot my
computer, so if I forget to check my IP before I leave, or if I do a remote
reboot, I can't get back into my home computer.