PostgreSQL vs MySQL

Subject: PostgreSQL vs MySQL
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 09:43:18 MDT

Greetings,

 I have been given the task to replace some of our public databases
(currently running FileMaker/Lasso) and move them over to a more robust
solution.

 So, now I have to decide which engine to run (WebObjects, PhP, Lasso -
which is now running on OSX) and with which database (MySQL, PostgreSQL or
some thing else -- not FileMaker!). I think I would rather stick to a
Linux solution rather than OSX, but if anyone had any convincing arguments
to use OSX, I would be open to it.

 In short, I really don't know a lot about these databases, and any
comments or pointers on where I could get some info and/or comparisons
would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada