Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL

Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL
From: Brock Gunter-Smith (brockgs@mac.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 10:06:42 MDT

on 10/12/00 10:43 AM, christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca at
christopher.murtagh@wcg.mcgill.ca wrote:

> So, now I have to decide which engine to run (WebObjects, PhP, Lasso -
> which is now running on OSX) and with which database (MySQL, PostgreSQL or
> some thing else -- not FileMaker!). I think I would rather stick to a
> Linux solution rather than OSX, but if anyone had any convincing arguments
> to use OSX, I would be open to it.

I'm in the same boat right now and I've decided on a LinuxPPC solution
running PHP4 and MySQL. I considered PostgreSQL but for what I'm doing I
don't need the features that differentiate it from MySQL. The main
differences, as I saw them were that MySQL doesn't support transactions
(commit and rollback) and in MySQL it's a little awkward to do sub-selects.

If you're developing a full blow e-commerce solutions go with something like
PostgreSQL, Oracle, SQL Server...otherwise I'd say MySQL all the way.

-> Brock