Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL

Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL
From: Steve Moitozo (stephen@moitozo.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 10:38:59 MDT

Chris,

Just curious, what's wrong with Filemaker? Couldn't you use it in combo
with WebObjects via ODBC?

PostgreSQL is a good database solution. It supports transactions and
subselects, and is both ANSI 98 & 92 compliant, unlike MySQL. I have read
some tests from http://www.greatbridge.com that suggest MySQL will crumble
under extreme load. However MySQL is about to support transactions and
already supports replication (unlike PostgreSQL). I have been round and
round with this as well.

I am a Filemaker developer since version 2.0. I'm going to be testing a
system that runs WebObjects and Filemaker Unlimited on OSX with a scaling
path to WebObjects and ORACLE (or PostgreSQL) on HP-UX or Solaris. From
what I've read WebObjects provides a layer of abstraction from the
datasource allowing you to scale to not only different RDBMSs but different
hardware. While this abstraction can cost you in the need for higher
horsepower it could be worth it in the long run.

I still use PHP4 and both MySQL and PostgreSQL on linux but I'm starting a
new project and have to look at the existing technology and evalute, again.

Steve Moitozo

steven@moitozo.com
http://www.moitozo.com

"The Windows Assimilator"