Re: Take me off this list as well. [OT, sort of]

Subject: Re: Take me off this list as well. [OT, sort of]
From: Brian Watson (bcwatso1@uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 10:08:44 MST

> >I expected an interface to tie everything together and make the server
>>set up easier.
>
> Why don't you use NT then, the server gets setup easily and gets hacked
>even easier - there's no such thing as a free lunch.

I don't know about that. I had quite the time getting a Windows 2000
server setup. I still agree about the hacked comment though.
Anyway, I had a MSCE friend who came over and tried to get my machine
going. Windows 2000 server took about 5 minutes to boot on a top of
the line Athlon with sufficient DDR RAM. Once it finally started up,
about 10-15 errors would appear in the logs. This was with the base
software installed. None of the services all work simultaneously, at
least not without a fight. We considered calling Microsoft, but I
noticed that it would be $200 per incident. After 20 hours of
working to get my machine running, it culminated with Windows getting
a blue screen of death while I was away just in time for my CPU fan
to go out. This would have been alright if my monitoring software
was still active, but, thanks to the BSoD, my CPU fried. That day I
sold off the server software, and all of the hardware components for
a new G4. My only regret was not buying the G4 in the first place.

As for my server, I started looking for options. I discovered YDL,
and it said it would run fine on my 6500/300. After a few snags and
newbie posts to this mailing list, I was good to go. My experience
with linux has been nothing but positive. I've found it easier to
use than NT.

In the other Brian's case, if you need to have it for business, it's
about time to shell out some money for an NT based server. Just pay
the tech guy a few thousand dollars to set up your system. That's
the way it goes if you want results. Someone will have to put in the
time, whether it's you or the guy you're paying.

--Brian