Re: Stop the slingin' and cheer the heroes! (was Better than YDL and OSX)

Subject: Re: Stop the slingin' and cheer the heroes! (was Better than YDL and OSX)
From: Bacil D. Warren, Lead Programmer (quixotic_raindrop_sw@mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 05:52:55 MST

on 10/29/01 11:25 PM, Christopher Murtagh <christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca> is
purported to have said:

> Personally, I would never trust an interface to 'tie everything together
> and make the server setup easier'. The trade off would usually be lack of
> control, or security holes (like NT for example). Setting up a
> Linux/Unix/Foo/even NT server is not easy at first, but learning how to do
> it isn't hard either, it just takes time.

In addition, I would add that some of the things a server is expected to do
are really quite complicated, with exceptions to exceptions and options so
numerous that listing every single one in a window might _require_ a 42"
monitor.

The true beauty of Linux, and the Open Source (and Free Software) movement
is this: if YDL doesn't do what you want, there are options. I can download
YDL for free, test it on a non-production system, and if it gets wrong the
things I need for it to get right, I can try something else (say, Mandrake
PPC or Linux PPC or SuSE). If YDL gets everything _almost_ right, which is
usually the case for me, there are software packages for most things that
make it complete _for me_. Your mileage _will_ vary (your == anyone else's).

This mailing list has been exceedingly helpful in most cases. It's about as
good as the best of the x86 mailing lists, and better in my experience than
the USENET groups, which tend to light all newbies on fire with a
flamethrower and hearty guffaw. Although YDL can't get everything right,
like with all things in life, it's a tradeoff.

--
Bacil D. Warren, CNA
Lead Programmer, CEO