Re: Strange, man...just plain strange!

Subject: Re: Strange, man...just plain strange!
From: Chip Witt (chip.witt@westwave.com)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2001 - 17:42:08 MST

Tim, et al,

> Whoa, stop right there. You don't actually want the bootstrap
> partition to be /boot. The boostrap partition should never be
> mounted anywhere under any OS. Unless you force ybin to do
> otherwise, ybin doesn't even mount it when copying the bootstrap
> files to the partition (it uses hfsutils instead). The YDL installer
> is doing the right thing here.
>
> The versions of yaboot included with YDL 2.0 onwards can load kernels
> right off a /boot that is part of your root filesystem. With YDL 2.0
> and 2.1 there is basically no need to have a separate /boot partition
> unless your root FS is something that yaboot can't deal with. (For
> example I'm pretty sure it doesn't know about ReiserFS, but it
> definitely handles ext2.) The bootstrap partition now holds just
> three files: the Linux bootloader program (yaboot), a configuration
> file for same (yaboot.conf), and an Open Firmware boot menu script
> (ofboot.b).

That must just be a misunderstanding on my part. That is how I've read the
instructions for YD builds going back to 1.2.1. Guess I've just been lucky
with past installations of 2.0 working this way.

> Did the installer ever ask you whether you wanted to install yaboot?
> (should happen after package installs if I recall correctly, but it
> may not ask you at all if you don't use the expert install option)
>
> It might have failed to set the Open Firmware boot-device variable
> correctly. Have you tried holding down the option key while powering
> on the machine to get the built in iconic boot menu? (should give
> you the option to select the Linux bootstrap partition if it was set
> up correctly)

It did prompt me to install yaboot and appeared to do so correctly, but as
you stated, the boot-device variable doesn't appear to be set correctly
(assuming all else is OK). I have not yet worked with the Open Firmware (x86
junkie), but will do so this evening. My understanding is something like
"setenv boot-device hd:2,\\:tbxi" at the Open Firmware prompt should do the
trick if this is indeed the problem.

> I assume that at this point you were forcing the installer to mount
> the HFS bootstrap partition on /boot. The errors probably happened
> because you can't create symlinks on HFS -- HFS doesn't have symbolic
> links. (Apple had to use some hack for simulating them on HFS+ under
> MacOS X.)

Your assumption is correct, and clears up the meaning behind the error
messages.

> >My trusty YD 2.0 install disks, that had previously allowed me to
> >install the distribution before, are now exhibiting the identical
> >bootstrap partition issues that I've run into with YD 2.1 (not allowing
> >me to create the necessary HFS partition--actually worse, leading me to
> >believe the partition is created and then showing me otherwise later in
> >the install). Thinking I had done something horrible to my PRAM or my
> >hard drive, I zapped the PRAM and reinstalled MacOS 9.2.1 and OSX 10.1.
> >These installed without incident (also the hardware checker I ran prior
> >to install came back OK). Went back to YD installs and found the same
> >problem with creating the bootstrap partition (2.0 and 2.1).
>
> I expect that you were doing some step differently in your previous
> YDL 2.0 installs.

Suprisingly, no. Being a sysadmin for as many years as I have been, I keep
detailed documentation on install processes (especially on my own machines
;) ) just in case I run into issues down the road, need to back track, or
replicate a particular problem. That's why I was so shocked when the YD 2.0
install ceased to function for me.

> >By the way, the first person that calls me a whiner is getting seriously
> >flamed.
>
> There is a world of difference between a frustrated call for help and
> (effectively) telling everybody in the Linux world off because things
> didn't go easy enough. :) The former can be a strategy for getting
> help, the latter is an effective strategy for getting flamed.

I agree whole-heartedly, however, I can understand the statements of some of these people that have been "attacked". Wanting to run Linux and experiement with a "fringe" operating system doesn't necessarily mean you're crazy or dedicated enough to make it a full time gig. Especially when we're just talking about installation. Nuff said.

Thank you very much for your time. I love list-serves!

CW

--

Chip Witt Sr. Network Administrator Westwave Communications

463 Aviation Blvd. Santa Rosa, CA 95403 (V) 707-284-7237 (F) 707-591-9413 (E) chip.witt@westwave.com

"Today, wealth is no longer best defined as ownership of land, goods, capital or labor. It is knowledge and knowing how to use it."