Re: FBIOPUTCMAP failed (X crashes)

Subject: Re: FBIOPUTCMAP failed (X crashes)
From: Robert Fout (rfout@mahi.damien.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 10:35:50 MST

I get the same problem (see below), whenever I leave X idle for more than 10
or so minutes. I have a B&W G3/400 rev. 2.

XFree86 Version 3.3.3.1 / X Window System
Release Date: January 4 1999
        If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is newer
        than the above date, look for a newer version before reporting
        problems. (see http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Operating System: Linux 2.2.6 ppc [ELF]
Configured drivers:
   FBDev: Server for frame buffer device
   (Patchlevel 10): mfb, afb, cfb8, cfb16, cfb32, NCR 77C32BLT (accel), ATI
Mach64 (accel), IMS TwinTurbo (accel)
(using VT number 7)

XF86Config: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config
(**) stands for supplied, (--) stands for probed/default values
(**) XKB: keycodes: "xfree86(usb)"
(**) XKB: types: "default"
(**) XKB: compat: "default"
(**) XKB: symbols: "us(pc105)"
(**) XKB: geometry: "pc"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) XKB: model: "pc101"
(**) Mouse: type: BusMouse, device: /dev/mouse, buttons: 3
(**) FBDev: Graphics device ID: "Generic Frame Buffer Device"
(**) FBDev: Monitor ID: "Unknown"
(**) FontPath set to "unix/:-1"
(**) FBDev: Using XF86Config video mode database
(--) FBDev: Frame buffer device: OFfb ATY,Rage12
(--) FBDev: Video memory: 3915K @ 0x86008000
(--) FBDev: MMIO regs: 0K @ (nil)
(--) FBDev: Type 0 type_aux 0 bits_per_pixel 32
(--) FBDev: Hardware accelerator: None
(--) FBDev: No driver support for hardware acceleration
bpp = 32, depth = 32, BitsPerRGB = 8
(--) FBDev: Using cfb32 driver
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error: No KeyNames named "usb" in the include file "xfree86"
> Exiting
> Abandoning keycodes file "default"
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap
Bad option: ShowXButton

Fatal server error:
fbdevUpdateColormap: FBIOPUTCMAP failed (Function not implemented)

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

xinit: connection to X server lost.
[rfout@bigblue rfout]$ xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient
on X server ":0.0"
xterm: fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
xio_error

Bob
"The knack to flying is learning how to
throw yourself at the ground and miss."

>From "Life the Universe and Everything"
by Douglas Adams

Robert Fout
MacOS Guru and MkLinux/Yellowdog Linux User
rfout@damien.edu
http://osx.damien.edu/rfout/
ICQ# 48433406