Re: no sound with kernel 2.2.6 on B&W G3

Subject: Re: no sound with kernel 2.2.6 on B&W G3
From: Kevyn Shortell (kevyn@apple.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 12:06:28 MST

The default kernel does not support sound on a G4 for some reason, It's
compiled as a module, but does not work.

What I did was recompile it into the kernel (changed the flag from module to
yes) and rebooted, sound worked.

I hear that the entire sound code is being re-worked (thank god=) so
hopefully this will soon be a thing of the past.

Someone might ask, well why wasn't it compiled in directly? Because it
breaks sound in general for other PPC systems.

Kevyn

on 3/13/00 9:46 PM, space aliens forced Robert Fout at rfout@damien.edu to
write:

> when YDL boots, sound shows up as "OK", so does that mean the mod was loaded
> okay?
>
> Thanks for the help,
> Bob
> ---------------------------------------
> "The knack to flying is learning how to
> throw yourself at the ground and miss."
>
> From "Life the Universe and Everything"
> by Douglas Adams
>
> Robert Fout
> MacOS Guru and MkLinux/Yellowdog Linux User
> rfout@damien.edu
> http://osx.damien.edu/rfout/
> ICQ# 48433406

Kevyn Shortell Apple
Technology Manager Worldwide Developer Relations
kevyn@apple.com http://developer.apple.com/
"War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left"