Re: Sound on a Powerbook G3

Subject: Re: Sound on a Powerbook G3
From: Jim Cole (greyleaf@yggdrasill.net)
Date: Tue Oct 19 1999 - 23:43:38 MDT

Graham Leggett's bits of Tue, 19 Oct 1999 translated to:

> Rob Comstock wrote:
>
> > I managed to have sound working on my '99 pwr book G3 by switch
> > from bootx1.1.1 to bootx1.1.3, The 1.1.3 version is located at:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/utilities/BootX 1.1.3.sit
> >
> > Don'n know why this is required but thought I saw a message to this
> > effect on this list...
> >
> > I am using xmms to play MP3 files and it all works flawlessly!
>
> I am using v1.1.3 of BootX, but still no sound.
>
> I am missing the /dev/dsp device. Anyone know how to create this?
>
> Does esd (E sound daemon) work under YDL?

Not sure why people are seeing different things, but sound (with xmms and
a couple other toys) worked fine from day one using BootX 1.1.1. I have no
idea what esd is, but I just typed it and my PowerBook spit out a series
of beeps, so I guess it works. I had /dev/dsp by default with major 14,
minor 3.

Jim