Re: Firewalls

Subject: Re: Firewalls
From: Robert Brandtjen (rob@prometheusmedia.com)
Date: Tue Aug 07 2001 - 21:03:14 MDT

on 8/7/01 9:44 PM, Paul J. Lucas at pauljlucas@mac.com wrote:

> That *is* the point of this thread. Anybody who is going to
> run Linux for a firewall is *NOT* going to run YDL on PowerPC:
> they're going to use cheaper Intel hardware. So why you keep
> hammering away about using Linux for a corporate firewall on a
> mailing list for a Linux distibution that is *NOT* used in
> corporations is beyond me.

But I'm doing just that - as I have no other choice, OSX 10.0 is incredibly
unstable and while I loved OSXS 1.2 - it's a dead end road as I cannot get
the latest versions of gcc and therefore perl 5.6 to compile on it.

So, it was either abandon my existing machines, or move to Linux or netbsd -

While I was on a recent road trip out west, I stopped into a local Mac store
in a small town in Idaho, low and behold, they had YDL boxes on the shelves
-so I picked one up.

Too bad the install CD was bad, but--- I downloaded a fresh .iso and I like
it a lot --

Now here is the thing, before I left town, I had downloaded and burned the
NetBSD for PPC .iso - thatıs what I was going to install before I got the
YDL - now I'm really getting into it, and, I really like the ability to
compile apps with relative ease - getting anything to work on OSXS 1.2 was
hard, nothing was straight forward - nothing.

Please, lets end this now.

 Robert Brandtjen
 Web Site Creation and Hosting Services
 Hostmaster@prometheusmedia.com