Re: Request: header

Subject: Re: Request: header
From: Matthew 'Fringe' Duhan (fringe@shore.net)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 15:40:50 MDT

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Christopher Murtagh wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, michael wrote:
>>I would normally consider adding [YDL] to the subject line to be a
>>reasonable request and am in favor of doing so, except that it needs to
>>be an intelligent prepending, so that we don't have subject lines of
>>"[YDL] re: [YDL] re: [YDL] ad infinitum". I'm in favor if that will not
>>happen.

No modern mailing list software that I've seen (Majordomo, ListServ, et al.)
has done this. I'm on a *lot* of mailing lists and I've yet to see this
happen. Have you had this occur, or are you pre-emptively complaining?

> And this is precisely the reason why many people would rather not have
>the subject changed.

Considering you are only the second person to object on this list, I don't
see that as being "many people." If it's not going to happen, what's the
objection?

> I really don't see all the fuss. Just about any email client will allow
>you to filter email by any recipient address. I simply told PINE (*my*
>favorite email client) to take any email with a recipient that matched
>'yellowdog-general@lists.yellowdoglinux.com' to a folder called yellowdog.

No fuss, but it makes it more of a hassle if I have to descend into 20
different folders in pine for all my mail. I'm on many lists, like I said,
and this is one of the only ones that does not flag the list in the subject.

Matt
Matthew Duhan fringe@shore.net http://shell2.primushost.com/~fringe
When I want my opinions I'll ask me for them.
WWW, HTML, VR, MOO, HRSFA, TMBG, DNA--any more initials and I'll go insane
Television is a medium. It is neither rare nor well done.