Re: OSX vs. YDL - new

Subject: Re: OSX vs. YDL - new
From: Christopher Murtagh (christopher.murtagh@mcgill.ca)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 17:46:31 MST

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Mark Philip wrote:
>As you may have read from my previous posts, I am a newbie when it comes
>to Linux, having only used Red Hat Linux on a PC Notebook. I would like
>to know, just out of interest, why would anyone install Linux (eg. YDL)
>on a G4 machine when they can install OSX?

 Honestly, after seeing both of them, my thoughts are now the exact
opposite. OS X is really not a very mature OS and is in serious need of
some optimization. Aqua is much slower (although a bit prettier) than X
windows, and I find it much easier to install all the software I need on a
linux machine than OS X.

 Having said that, it really depends on what you need to use your machine
for. If you *need* M$ Office, then OS X is likely the way to go. If not,
then it really depends on if you want to learn a new way of doing things.
In reality, learning OS X isn't much more difficult than Linux for an
average newbie, just different.

 After having 'upgraded' our office to OS X from 9.2.1, I'm really glad
that my desktop is running Linux and I don't have the same problems my
co-workers are with their machines. My iBook is dual booted to Linux/MacOS
9.2.1 and I only use MacOS when I want to play DVDs at home, otherwise I
use Linux.

Cheers,

Chris

--

Christopher Murtagh Webmaster / Sysadmin Web Communications Group McGill University Montreal, Quebec Canada

Tel.: (514) 398-3122 Fax: (514) 398-2017