Re: YDL FAQ (was: Re: Yup problems =])

Subject: Re: YDL FAQ (was: Re: Yup problems =])
From: Geert Janssens (geert.janssens3@pandora.be)
Date: Fri Mar 08 2002 - 02:07:25 MST

Andy Hocker wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Ferwerda Darren (app3dxf) wrote:
>

>><devil's advocacy> Isn't the
>>"get-rid-of-eth0-as-the-default-route-before-you-can-get-anywhere-with-a-dia
>>lup-connection" something that should be covered in the networking FAQ?
>></devil's advocacy> It is not necessarily related to YDL specifically.
>>That would happen with any dialup connection. You just need to tell pppd to
>>set defaultroute. Seriously, should it be covered since it is a problem
>>that seems to be prevalent to new installations? The reason I ask, is that
>>I am willing to help put together the FAQ once we start nailing down what
>>needs to be in it. Yes, that is a volunteer. :)
>>

> Well, if you're going to build a FAQ out of questions that are frequently
> asked on the yellowdog-general mailing list, then I think the
> default-route question definitely qualifies. I've often wondered
> what the problems-with-YDL/problems-with-Linux-in-general ratio is
> on this list, but I think if you restrict yourself to only addressing
> YDL-specific issues then a FAQ becomes less useful to the newbie who nees
> it most.
>
> I think a good start would be to just go through the last six months'
> list archives and find the questions that have had the same resolution
> more than x number of times.
>
> Thanks for volunteering!
>
> Andy

I do agree with you here, Andy.

If it would be a FAQ for people trying to work with YDL, it should
contain all frequently asked questions, not only yellow dog specific ones.

But IMHO it would also be interesting to mention in the faq wether a
question is linux-general, or ydl (version-)specific.

Geert