Re: Routing Question

Subject: Re: Routing Question
From: Dave Braford (braford@hanon-mckendry.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 06:32:17 MDT

Why use PPP for work ?
Why not set up rules at work to allow ONLY
your home computer's ip(2) in? or IPSEC ?
Anyway....you can manitain mutiple connections
and just make changes to the routing table as to
where they go....you can do it manually by
masquerading (like you suggested) or with static
routes. I would do static routes if I were you....

You just set up a route that says all requests for 172.16x.xxx.xxx
go here (ppp0) or where-ever. OR do it the other way...
All requests that AREN'T in the 172.16x.xxx.xxx subnet go to
PPPoe (DSL)....I guess I like that better......

Chime in everyone....I know this post will gather opinions.

Message in response to:

>Well its been 2 years now and i can finally get DSL in my area. I have been
>using my Linux box (powermac 8500 and ydl champion server 1.2.1) as my
>router, firewall and masq server sharing a dial-up connection with 4
>comuters on my home network (works great but very SLOW!!!!!). I now want to
>get DSL and also retain a PPP connection to my place of work. My question
>is how to set up my routing table to use the DSL link as my default gateway
>and how to route calls to my place of work through ppp0. I would assume
>that i would point my works networking addresses that are 172.16.xxx.xxx
>through ppp0 (i also want to bring this interface up on demand) and all
>other through eth0 (my DSL interface). Is this the correct thinking. Any
>helpfull hints. Can i masq 2 interfaces?
>
>Thanks,
>--
>Barry

Dave Braford